Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Ramsay's Roasting Over 'Lesbian Pig' Slur


I’ve got a bad feeling about Gordon Ramsay – is the man finally losing the plot? Are his antics Down Under now one step too far?

Has Ramsay – the man who could once do no wrong, the man who could get away with shouting at Edwina Currie that it wasn’t enough for her to fuck the Prime Minister, she had to fuck Ramsay (up the ass) too – finally bitten off more than even he can chew?

He is already on the back foot following allegations about a long-term affair, claims about exaggerating his football career, the ready-meals debacle, the crumbling business empire, and getting kicked out of the list of the world’s top 100 restaurants.

So even for a chef with the size of his balls and ego, it may have seemed a little foolish – not to say a trifle churlish and downright misogynistic – to start calling Australian TV presenter Tracy Grimshaw a pig-faced lesbian.

The row has rumbled on since the weekend, with growing calls for Ramsay to be shipped out of the country in a convict ship, and Australian women’s groups calling for his bollocks to be hung like corks from Germaine Greer’s hat.

And now the Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has waded in, describing Ramsay as "a new form of low life" and declaring war on Scotland.

The spat began at a food and wine show in Melbourne when Ramsay shocked the 3,000-strong audience by calling Grimshaw "a lesbian" and showing a photo of a nude woman on all fours, with multiple breasts and a pig's face.

"That's Grimshaw," he leered at the crowd like a bully in a tuck shop. "Holy crap. She needs to see a Botox doctor."

Grimshaw then retaliated on her show on Australia's Nine Network by calling the celebrity cook an "arrogant narcissist" and a "bully".

"I'm not going to pretend that his comments didn't hurt. I was absolutely miserable when I found out," she whined.

"He says it was a joke - well not to me or to anyone who truly cares about me.

"Truly, I wonder how many people would laugh if they were effectively described as 'an old ugly pig'. How is that funny, exactly?"

Grimshaw added: "Obviously Gordon thinks that any woman who doesn't find him attractive must be gay. For the record, I don't and I'm not."

She continued her attack in a radio interview, saying his insults upset her and her mother.

She said she did not expect an apology from the TV chef, adding: "I don't want one, I don't care.

"There's nothing more he can do to me now and he can't make it better."

But then Ramsay could not help himself and had another crack at Grimshaw, telling the crowd at the Good Food & Wine Show that he and the TV host had been long-time lovers.

"We were secret lovers for 20 years," he said before dismissing it as a joke. "No, I didn't go there...I didn't stoop that low, for God's sake."

Despite the storm, Ramsay remains unrepentant, saying his comments have been "blown out of context".

Bit like his football career? At least he didn’t mention the cricket.

17 comments:

Jono said...

Ramsay really has lost the plot hasn't he!

Nicky said...

He seems to be imploding ...

Unknown said...

Whether he meant what he said about her as a joke or not, it wasn't appropriate and it was over the line.

The best thing he could do is keep his head down and re-group. Stick to cooking rather than believing his own hype.

Lennie Nash said...

It does seem that way doesn't it Nicky!

Jayfleur: Yes sticking to his cooking might do him good for a bit.

Been echoed by Australia's deputy PM Julia Gillard: "I understand from the publicity that Gordon Ramsay is a good chef.

"I think perhaps what he should do is confine himself to the kitchen and make nice things for people to eat rather than make public comments about others."

damo2503 said...

and he's opening a maze in melbourne

ellie said...

I think that people should just leave him alone. he cant seem 2 say nything without it being in the the newspapers. if it was ny1 else no 1 would care but the tabloids have something against him and blow everythin out of proportion. it was a bit out of order but it isnt that big of a deal!

La Bête said...

ellie! It isn't that pig of a deal, I mean, big of a deal? What if I were to call you a saggy-faced cack-for-brains with a nasty arse on national TV? Eh? I wouldn't of course, because I'm a gentleman. But if I did, I'd be out of order. And I'd deserve to be thoroughly castigated. Ramsay too. Fucker should be castigated in a red wine sauce till he's properly done.

Neutered Viking Slave said...

Gordon Ramsay has learnt from a young age, starting with the relentless bullying and complete personality destruction of his younger brother, that picking on the weak makes you look like the big man and is a great way to relieve stress.

Well, he gets things done; his defenders shout in my face. This to me sounds like a great argument for bringing back Roman style slavery.

ellie said...

La bete, cant do the hat thingys, ye i would be a bit offended but i wouldnt care i would just take it as a joke and understand that. i would just call u a name back. she chose 2 b famous nd should understand that people say mean things live on tv bout other celebrities.

kerstin said...

Surprised he is making gay jokes. Asking for trouble that is.
Ellie, as you write in text speak, I take it you are quite young?

ellie said...

msmarmitelover ye i am but that dont mean that i dont have views nd a right 2 free speach.
I think that it is stupid nd unfair that people c that i right in txt tlk so realise im young nd then ignore my views. i have the same rights to free speech as all of u lot have so it dnt rely matter that im younger do u.
in fact iv probably experiencd more of this type of thing cos even just at skl it can b quite upsetin but u learn 2 laugh it out nd people dnt make a big deal bout it cos u think its a joke 2. thats all she has 2 do nd most people wouldnt no bout it. who actually new bout this b4 she made a big deal bout it.

Anonymous said...

m sure GR has a psychological disorder. Perhaps he should look in the mirror b4 saying anything. Maybe he does but cannot see his prematurely aged face etched with furrows possibly associated with underlyng anger issues that should b addressed. In reality if someone has warmth honesty humour then they can be ugly on the meter of classical beauty but irresistably attractive to all around them. Until this latest outburst I thought there was something appealing about GR but now he makes my stomach turn.

Kate said...

My grandfather taught me that if I couldn't find anything nice to say about someone, then I should say nothing at all. With this in mind, I have nothing to say about Mr Ramsay right now.

La Bête said...

ellie. skl? Now I must take you to task on that. Tsk tsk.

Jane Wightman said...

perhaps I am being a little cynical, but GR might have become so reliant on publicity, that even bad publicity meets his needs.
For the record, it's not only Australian women who were incensed by GRs comments about TG, who has been and continues to be, one of Australia's favourite television journalists.
Perhaps GR was pissed off at the turn out for his 'celeb' spot at Good Food & Wine's Melb show... which ran for 3 days. Hyping it up to ensure he had bums on seats???
Methinks so.

Melinda said...

Oh dear. Poor old Gordon. This must be,as the Queen says, his annus horribilus.
Gordon and Geoffrey Archer have a lot in common. They just can't keep their mouths shut.

theundergroundrestaurant said...

I do have a 15 year old myself but she's not here right now so I will translate Ellie's response to me for the benefit of other readers:
"Msmarmitelover yes I am but that doesn't mean that I don't have views and a right to free speech.
I think that it is stupid and unfair that people see that I write in text talk so realise that I'm young and then ignore my views. I have the same rights to free speech as all of you lot have, so it doesn't really matter that I'm younger do you.
In fact I've probably experienced more of this type of thing cos even just at school it can be quite upsetting but you learn to laugh it out and people dont make a big deal about it cos you think it's a joke too. That's all she has to do and most people wouldn't know about it. Who actually knew about this before she made a big deal about it?"
Ellie i fink u hav a point bt grdn rmsy is a gayer n shldnt mak joks bout that dont u fink?